Israel Palästina Gaza

  • Hadash MK Calls for Voters to Beat Netanyahu by Voting for Joint List

    Hadash MK Youssef Jabareen has called for Arabs and democratic Jews in Israel to beat far-right Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu by voting for the Joint List, Arabi21 has reported. Jabareen called on these citizens to punish Israel’s longest serving prime minister by preventing him from continuing his reign in power.

    Speaking to Al-Arab TV, MK Jabareen said that the Arab-Palestinian community in Israel “has an opportunity to achieve a great victory” by enabling the Joint List to win as many as 16 seats in the 23rd Knesset. (The list currently has 13 MKs.)

  • MK Touma-Sliman: “World’s ‘Most Moral Army’ Loots & Defiles Body”

    A macabre tug of war over the body of a Palestinian militant on the Gaza-Israel border, captured on video in broad daylight on Sunday, February 23, triggered a barrage of rocket fire from Gaza that was met by retaliatory Israeli airstrikes late Sunday. Israel’s use of heavy machinery to abscond with the corpse of a militant earlier in the day drew harsh criticism, even inside the country.

  • Arab-Bedouin Teacher Shot by Police in 2017 Was Left to Die

    Newly released evidence from the investigation into a deadly incident on January 18,2017 in the Arab-Bedouin town of Umm al-Hiran allegedly shows that a local resident was unlawfully shot and then left to bleed to death, because police mistakenly accused him of committing a car-ramming attack.

  • Two Palestinians Injured by Army Bulldozer Attack in Kafr Qaddum

    redglobeA video uploaded to Facebook on Friday, February 21, shows an Israeli army bulldozer driving at a high speed and pushing large boulders towards Palestinian protesters in the occupied West Bank village of Kafr Qaddum.

    Two Palestinians were injured when Israeli forces attacked dozens of protesters taking part in the weekly anti-settlements protest in the village of Kafr Qaddum, near Qalqilia, said Morad Shtewi, coordinator of the popular resistance in the village. During the protest, which deteriorated into violent clashes between Palestinians and occupation troops, an Israeli military bulldozer was videoed rapidly pushing large slabs of stone towards the protesters in the village, endangering their lives. A 9-year-old child identified as Mo’men Shtewi and a Palestine TV photojournalist, Mohammad Enaya, 28, were injured as a result. The child was treated at the scene while the photojournalist was transported to nearby Darwish Nazzal hospital for treatment, where his condition was described as moderate.

  • Global Coalition of Jews Decries Trump’s Imperialist “Peace Plan”

    A diverse coalition of Jewish organizations and individuals from communities across the globe has signed a call against US President Donald Trump’s imperialist plan for peace between Israelis and Palestinians. The signed call follows. 

    We share a commitment to the Jewish values of justice and peace which can only be fulfilled through a negotiated two-state solution for Israelis and Palestinians. We share a commitment to Israel’s security and prosperity which can best be fulfilled through peace agreements with its neighbors.

  • Masses of Left-Wing Jewish-Israeli Voters Swinging to the Joint List

    Increased numbers of left-wing Jewish Israelis are planning to vote for the Joint List in the upcoming Israeli election, Haaretz has reported. Many of these voters are casting off Zionist center leftist parties like Meretz and Labor in favor of the coalition of Hadash and the Arab parties. This swing may lead the Joint List to gain up to two seats in the Knesset in the March 2 general elections. According to several polls, the Joint List will gain at least one more seat this time around, raising its number of MKs to 14 and possibly even 15. That would make it the largest opposition grouping in the Israeli parliament if a Zionist “unity government” were to be formed.

  • UN Releases List of Firms Profiting from Israel’s West Bank Occupation

    unoThe United Nations published on Wednesday, February 12, a much-delayed and contentious report listing 112 companies doing business with Israeli projects in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT). The UN Human Rights Council (OHCHR) earned praise from Israeli human rights groups and Hadash (The Democratic Front for Peace and Equality – Communist Party of Israel) for releasing its long-anticipated report detailing companies that participate in Israeli economic initiatives in the territories it has been occupying since the June 1967 war.

    Israel’s far-right Netanyahu government widely condemned the publication of the list, claiming that the move reflects the bias of the UN against Israel, and totally ignored the content of the OHCHR report.

    Of the 112 companies listed in the document, 18 are international enterprises  that conduct business operations in settlements across the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem; among them are Airbnb, Booking.com, Alstom, Airbnb, Expedia, JCB, Opodo, TripAdvisor and Motorola Solutions.

  • Israel Bans Export of Palestinian Agricultural Produce via Jordan

    In the wake of US President Donald Trump’s “Deal of Century” announcement on January 28, Israel has banned the export of Palestinian agricultural produce from the West Bank via Jordan. The estimated value of such exports amounts to $100 million annually.

    The majority of these exports are crops cultivated in the Jordan Valley region which Israel has announced its intention to annex, consistent with Trump’s recently unveiled “peace plan,” which has been utterly and vehemently rejected by the Palestinians.

    On Friday, February 7, Israeli military forces ordered the drivers of a number of Palestinian truckloads of agricultural produce, originating in the West Bank and on their way to the Kingdom of Jordan, to turn around.

  • Supreme Court Upholds Candidacy of Joint List MK Heba Yazbak, 5-4

    Israel’s Supreme Court upheld, by a vote of 5 to 4, the candidacy of Joint List MK Heba Yazbak (Balad), on Sunday, February 9, overturning a January decision by the Knesset’s Central Elections Committee to bar her from running in the March 2 election over her alleged support of terror.

    Almost all of the Knesset’s Zionist lawmakers united behind the efforts to ban Yazbak, including the centrist Blue and White party and parts of Labor-Gesher-Meretz coalition.

    In the narrow 5-4 ruling, the top legal body said that while the posts publicized by Yazbak in Facebook “were inappropriate, there was not a critical mass of statements that justified disqualification.” Moreover, the court posited that a significant amount of time had elapsed since Yazbak’s most controversial post. Supreme Court President Esther Hayut was one of the four justices who supported retaining the ban against Yazbak.

  • Syrian Druze Hold Strike against Greenwashing of Golan Occupation

    A general strike was held in the Golan Heights on Sunday, February 2, after the Israeli government approved plans on Thursday, January 30, for a commercial wind farm that would see at least 25 wind turbines built in the occupied Syrian territory. According to the Communist daily newspaper, Al-Ittihad, the government’s decision came less than a week after thousands of Golan Heights residents protested the project in Majdal Shams, marching with both red and Syrian flags.

  • Ayman Odeh Condemns Jerusalem Shooting Attack by Arab from Haifa

    Hadash MK Ayman Odeh, head of the Joint List bloc in the Knesset, denounced on Thursday, February 6, a shooting attack in Jerusalem’s Old City perpetrated a few hours earlier by an Arab citizen of Israel from Haifa. “We strongly condemn this shooting,” Odeh, said in a statement. “It is unacceptable for an Israeli citizen to use a weapon. The Arab citizens of the state have opted for a just civil and democratic struggle to end the occupation and to achieve peace and equality. We will not accept any other way.”

  • Odeh: “PM Hates Arabs More than He Loves Cigars and Champagne”

    Chairman of the Joint List, MK Ayman Odeh (Hadash), strongly condemned far-right Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu following the report in Haaretz on Wednesday, February 6, that it was Netanyahu who initially proposed transferring the Arab communities of the “Triangle Region” in northern Israel to “Palestinian” control, and his proposal became part of the Trump administration’s “Deal of the Century.”

  • Mike Pompeo, Benjamin Netanyahu not welcome to Portugal

    «Mike Pompeo and Benjamin Netanyahu are not welcome to Portugal» was, more than the motto, the outcry that emerged from the public action carried out at the end of the afternoon, December 6, at Largo Camões, noble space of Lisbon, already well known for the initiatives in defence of peace that regularly take place there.

  • Voices from the Left: Trump’s Plan, One for Annexation, Not for Peace

    When, amidst his characteristic bombast, US President Donald Trump festively revealed his “Deal of the Century” last week in Washington, he repeated the terms “peace plan” and “Palestinian state” several times. In response, Peace Now has written, “Despite the seemingly appropriate words and the celebratory atmosphere, an examination of the details of the plan, clearly reveal the degree to which it lacks both peace and a Palestinian state. A deeper assessment indicates that the plan not only neglects to advance peace, but also has the potential to severely harm prospects for a genuine peace plan for both parties.”

    Statements similar to this one against the Trump Plan have been made by a range of peace and labor movements and appear in this week’s edition of the Hebrew-language Communist weekly Zu Haderech. What follows are summaries of some of these responses from prominent Israeli peace groups as well as three from organizations overseas.

  • Amidst “Deal of the Century,” Israel Launches Trade War against the PA

    Israel and the Palestinian Authority (PA) appear to be on the brink of a trade war, with the far-right government’s Defense Minister, Naftali Bennett, announcing on Friday, January 31, that Israel would be stopping all agricultural imports from the occupied West Bank starting Sunday, February 2.

    What triggered this discord was an October decision by the Palestinians to boycott cattle and sheep meat products from Israel, with the Palestinian Authority complaining that the occupying power was forcing it to buy from Israeli farmers and limiting its access to cheaper meat products from overseas.

  • Gantz’s Push for Annexation Makes Joint List Support for Him Unlikely

    Senior members of the Joint List maintain that, given Blue & White’s support for US President Trump’s “Deal of the Century,” chances are slim that the alliance will recommend that Israel’s president grant MK Benny Gantz, B&W’s leader, the opportunity to form a new government, even if his party attains the highest number of Knesset seats in the March 2 election.

    Hadash MK Youssef Jabareen said Friday, January 31, that the four-party bloc would not repeat giving its backing to Blue & White after the next election because Gantz declared that, if he is assigned the task of forming a coalition and succeeds in attaining the premiership, he will work to adopt Trump’s imperialist plan, which the Joint list unequivocally rejects.

  • Protests against Trump Plan in Tel Aviv, the Galilee and Arab Triangle

    Thousands of Jews and Arabs protested in central Tel Aviv, last night (Saturday, February 1), against US President Donald Trump’s “Deal of the Century.” The demonstrators gathered in Dizengoff Square and marched from there to Ibn Gvirol Avenue. Following the procession, a rally was held where speakers included Joint List MK Aida Touma-Sliman, Darwish Rabi (Hadash) Mayor of Jaljulya, Hadash union activist Maysam Jaljuli, well know author Yehoshua Sobol and Peace Now CEO Shaked Morag. The protest was organized by Hadash, the Communist Party of Israel, Peace Now, the Geneva Initiative, Combatants for Peace, the Parents Circle Families Forum, Standing Together, A Land for All and other anti-occupation movements and grassroots organizations.

  • Joint List MK Yazbak Disqualified from Participating in the Elections

    In a vote held on Wednesday, January 29, the Knesset’s Central Elections Committee officially disqualified Joint List MK Heba Yazbak (Balad) from running in the March 2 elections. The vote was 27 for the disqualification and 7 against.

  • Trump’s Middle East plan reeks of discrimination

    President Trump’s plan for a Palestinian state is a smokescreen to legitimise Israel’s theft of Palestinian land, its illegal settlements, the creeping annexation of Jerusalem and the Jordan valley, the forced displacement of Palestinians and the apartheid wall.

    For decades, Israel has sought to create “facts on the ground” to destroy any effort for the two state solution. Trump is now rewarding Israel for this lawless behaviour, including the many grave violations of international law and war crimes.

  • Declaration of the Regional Office of the World Federation of Trade Unions in the Middle East on the so-called “Deal of the Century”

    The US administration, represented by the head of its pyramid, presented the US President Donald Trump with a hostile and provocative step has announced in public a press conference with the Prime Minister of the Israeli entity, “Beniamin Netanyahu” that Jerusalem is the eternal capital of the Zionist entity and that the occupied Syrian Golan has become part of what is called the State of Israel, and that the Palestinians has to accept the fait accompli and to join the peace process in order to have a state recognized by the American administration that has no borders but rather is based on separate and fragmented cantons. On the other hand, they will have investments that make their promised state a paradise on earth, otherwise they will face more and more isolation.